A legend says a Couronian king is buried here and people out of great respect for him brought soil with their hats and aprons to form a hill above the place where the king was buried. With support from Association of Latvians a town park with trees and decorative shrubs and a romantic wooden stairway with 122 steps was built on Ķēniņkalns King’s hill) at the end of 19th century. “Ķeizardārzs” or “Pilsētas dārzs” as it was quickly nicknamed by citizens, became a favorite place for walks and recreation. In 1958 the Festivāla square was built. Since November 16th, 1996 there is a monument in Ķēniņkalns called “Koklētājs”. The monument that is dedicated to fallen freedom fighters of Latvia was initially designed by Kārlis Zemdega though finished by sculptor Vilnis Titāns. Some things still remind of the past – the old and the new Fabrika street, former wool factory and the war prison from World War II “Moku kambari” (1944 – 1945). By the foot of the Ķēniņkalns lies building that is almost a 100 years old – “Talsu tautas nams” (Talsi Folk House). It was built from funds raised by citizens of Talsi as a Community house. Tourism information center of Talsi district is located in this building. The town square that attracts Talsi Rally fans in the spring, town festival guests in July and Dižmāra fair merchants in August was built at the beginning of the 1960s. Since 1996 the house front on 25 Lielā Street has been decorated with a stylized ethnographic ornament “Talsu saulīte“.